Sacred 2:Damage over time: Physical
This effect causes Physical Damage over Time. It can be inflicted by the weapons and Combat Arts of opponents and the player. It is also caused by the Secondary Damage Effect of Physical damage known as Open Wounds as well as Serious Open Wounds.
The fundamental difference between Damage over Time, caused by Spell Damage Based Combat Arts, and the periodic damage caused by Secondary Damage Effects (open wounds, burn, poison) is the latter's dependence on flat damage:
- Physical Damage over Time, caused by Spell Damage based Combat arts , depends on Combat Art's level and damage modifiers, characters do not have this damage type on their Combat Arts, but some monsters do.
- The periodic physical damage of a Secondary Damage Effect is directly proportional to the inflicted damage that caused the effect. Periodic damage caused by Secondary Damage Effect depends on how much damage the character has received: for example, if character's armor absorbs 75% incoming damage, periodic damage caused by Secondary Damage Effect will also inflict 75% less damage.
Combat Arts that Cause Damage Over Time: Physical
Note: With the exception of Clustering Maelstrom, these combat arts can cause physical damage over time only by causing Secondary Damage Effects (open wounds), so physical damage over time here depends on how much damage the character has received. Clustering Maelstrom can gain Physical DOT (not open wounds) through the Gash silver modification.
The modifier Opponent's Chance to Wound - X% Reduces the chance opponents can inflict Open Wounds on the player.
Armor cannot protect against Damage over Time: Physical, caused by Spell Damage Based Combat Arts. But armor can reduce flat physical damage, which inflicts open wounds: if character's armor absorbs 75% incoming damage, periodic damage caused by Secondary Damage Effect will also inflict 75% less damage)
- vs Physical Damage over Time, caused by Spell Damage based Combat arts, modifier reduces DoT duration (as well as total damage: for example, if incoming DoT was to inflict 250 damage for 5 seconds it would be decreased by "Damage Mitigation:x +65%" to two seconds - 250 damage dealt by the first pulse and 187 damage a second later, summing up to 437 damage which is 35% of initial 1250)
- vs the periodic physical damage of a Secondary Damage Effect modifier protects twice - first Damage Mitigation reduces incoming flat damage (periodic damage depends on how much damage the character has received), secondly DM reduces damage from incoming periodic damage (open wounds). For example, 50% Damage Mitigation reduces damage over time at 50%, and then another 50 %, a total of 75% mitigation. Modifier can stack with similar other without diminishing returns, so immunity can be achieved.
Spell Resistance skill mastery reduces the duration (as well as total damage).
Damage Over Time: Physical -X% reduces the duration (as well as total damage), modifier can stack with similar modifier without diminishing returns, so immunity can be achieved.
The most effective ways to resist this effect are to use a Recovery Elixir.
- If the defender's willpower value is too much, the damage dealt by Secondary Damage Effects would be noticeably reduced. It works only against Spell Damage Based Combat Arts that deal flat damage and have a chance for Secondary Damage Effects. If an attack inflicts such effect (for example, Burn effect from a Dragon's fireball or Poison from Kobold Shaman's projectiles) then the duration of effect on highly resistant character would be reduced. Therefore the detrimental effect deals only some % of its original damage.
Availability of Damage Over Time: Physical -X% as an Item Modifier
This modifier will reduce the amount of Physical damage over time the player suffers by a percentage.
- Prior to Community Patch 1.60, the visual effects for Physical Damage Over Time were broken and did not display. This bug is now fixed.