To start this quest, you should talk to Lianara in Sloeford (check map above).
She will tell you her teddybear went missing, and touched by the child's tears as you are, you decide to retrieve it. Little did you know what adventure lay ahead of you. Start by running to the cave by taking the path indicated in the map above.
When you get to the cave, enter it, and kill any bears you come across. This includes the Mother Bear. You can find her by following this path in the dungeon.
As soon as the Mother Bear is dead, you can open the crate behind her, and retrieve the missing teddy bear. Right after you do so, a little bear appears right next to the crate. 'Talk' to it to make it follow you.
After you got the little bear to follow you, walk back to Lianara the way you came.
After you bring the teddy bear, and the baby bear to her, she will give you some gold, experience and a Relic of Antidote (see quest log)
Hirelings and Escorts
- The Community Patch groups this quest together with the other Tutorials into a chain called The Hitchhiker's Guide to Ancaria.
- Easter Egg: If you choose not to return the little bear, Mother Bear's Favorite to Lianara, you can keep it. The bear will eventually grow up, and become a formidable ally and companion. It cannot be killed, so you don't have to worry about healing it. Do note that if the bear makes the last hit on an opponent, you will not gain experience for the kill. Usually the bear will move to the next monster before killing it unless it is the last foe onscreen. Also note that the bear tends to wander off in search of monsters, and occasionally returns with them in tow.
- If you want to keep the bear and complete the quest, start the quest, get the bear, and after you reach Dragonmaw Pass, when the bear grows up, go back and talk to the little girl. The quest will complete but the bear will stay with you.
- Alternatively, you do not have to talk to the little bear. As long as you have the teddy bear you can return to Lianara for your reward. Taking the little bear to her or not doesn't seem to have any effect on the reward you receive.
- Another Solution: After all, the quest is called “playing” with bears. Just move though the cave until you are charged by the first bear, then run straight to the Mother Bear. The Teddy will be sitting right under her. As she charges you, loop clockwise around her, hit Collect [Q] when the Teddy is in range, then run straight to the exit. You'll take a few hits along the way, but at this point in the game you shouldn't even notice.
- Bug: The quest script has a bug which results in quite a strange behavior of Lianara, and gives you an opportunity to receive a double reward for this quest. If you talk to the little bear in the cave, and then walk with him to Lianara, the exclamation sign appears above her head. But you may not talk to her and walk together with the little fuzzball to the Dragonmaw Pass. As was said before, the bear would grow up. When you return to Lianara, she would still have the exclamation sign. But when you talk to her and she gives you a reward, the punctuation won't disappear. You may talk to her again, hear the dialog she normally says when you give her the little bear, and receive the second reward! The bear would however stay with you.
- Bug is Fixed: The bug that was described above was corrected in the Community Patch. If you have this patch installed, the little bear would simply stop following you if you walk together with him to Lianara and the exclamation sign appears above girl's head. That would mean that the bear stays with her. If you have the Community Patch installed and want to keep the bear, you shouldn't return to Sloeford until your pet grows up.