Skills and Attributes
The following skills will affect this combat art:
The following attributes will affect this combat art:
- Stamina will lower regeneration time.
- Modifying with Elite - Veteran - Familiar will maximize the offensive potential of this buff. The protectors are not powerhouses but they can hold their own and pick off weak to medium strength enemies on their own.
- They rarely seem to die if the Dragon Mage is doing his part, but if hit by massive area of effect or damage over time they may be killed. Modding with Regeneration and Protection will keep the protector alive even through these situations.
- A Dragon Mage primarily concerned with his own safety first will choose the Protective Shield gold mod. The 20% physical damage mitigation is quite effective, and will stack with other sources of damage mitigation. This will be especially crucial for a build that is often in melee range.
- The Protector is scripted to use two special CA's: Slowing Hard Hit and Self-Heal. However, his AI was broken so he never used these spells. Community Patch 1.60 fixed the Protector AI so he now uses his spells.
Controlling the Protectors
- As of Ice and Blood, summoned minions can be told to stay close to the player or go to a certain range. They also can be told to seek out individual targets or gang up on a single target opponent.
Splash screen tooltip states: "You can give orders to your familiars and companions with SHIFT + mouse button, they will attack. With # (default) you can specify the radius in which they will attack on their own. With - you can specify if they attack as a group or individually."
- So: pressing # will change the radius from near, medium to far, back to near, then to medium...
- Pressing - will toggle between the protectors attacking the same target or each taking their own targets (if the Familiar mod is taken).
- And.. SHIFT + mouse button will direct the attacks of the protector(s).
Pros and Cons
- Decent killing power
- Can buff the Dragon Mage with damage mitigation
- If an enemy sneaks up on the player (while talking to an NPC, looking through their stash, etc.), the protector will take them out.
- Buff has to be recast if the protector dies.
- May not be worth the regen penalty for a spellcaster able to hold his own with powerful spells.
||The Vigilant Bodyguard
||With Familiar Mod
||With Protection Mod